These sweet, decadent chocolate mint doughnuts are an amazing raw dessert experience. Dense and gooey, the base is made from dates, oats, and almonds, with some cacao powder. The mint frosting is made up of coconut cream, mint leaves, maple syrup, and some spirulina for color. The chocolate drizzle is your basic and fabulous raw chocolate. These aren't the typical light and fluffy doughnuts you know — and that's okay.
Raw Chocolate Mint Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts:
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup gooey dates
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the Mint Coconut Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/8 teaspoon spirulina powder, as needed
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Grind the oats and almonds into flour in a high-speed blender, add the cacao and salt and blend for a second so they're evenly mixed. Add the dates and blend until you get a moist, thick dough that holds its shape. Or else transfer to a food processor and add the dates then, if your blender isn't very powerful.
- Press the dough into a doughnut mould or shape into doughnuts (or make into bars) and leave in the freezer until solid: it'll take 40 minutes or so. Keep in the freezer until they're ready to be dipped in the mint frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth, or whisk by hand. Add the spirulina in very small amounts until you get the colour you want. It will be very liquid at this point but don't worry. Leave it in the refrigerator for a couple hours and it will thicken up.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for a couple hours and it will thicken up. Dip your doughnuts in the frosting a few times. You might have leftover frosting.
To Make the Chocolate Drizzle:
- Stir together the ingredients until you have liquid chocolate. Drizzle over your doughnuts. Sprinkle on some finely chopped pistachios if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or the freezer for a few months.
Makes about 12 mini doughnuts.