Inspired by the famous dessert from the Ottoman Empire, this smooth, creamy baklava cashew cheesecake sits on a crunchy, cinnamon-spiced crust. The best part about this cake is that, even though it's one of the most impressive things you'll ever taste or see, it's incredibly easy to make. You need only use your food processor twice — once for the crust and again for the base.
Raw Baklava Cheesecake [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2.82 ounces pistachios
- 2.82 ounces walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates (about 20)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
For the Cheesecake:
- 12.34 ounces cashews, soaked overnight or for an hour in boiling water
- 1 cup thickened coconut cream
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- Extra nuts, dried rose petals, and orange zest for garnish
To Make the Crust:
- Line an 8-10-inch loose-based cheesecake pan with baking paper
- Process nuts in food processor until roughly chopped. Add dates to food processor or blender and process until a paste forms. Add nuts, cinnamon, and agave nectar and pulse until just combined.
- Take mixture and pour into the base of the pan and press out with your fingers to form a smooth, even crust.
To Make the Cheesecake:
- Rinse out food processor or blender, then add in soaked cashews, coconut oil and cream, agave nectar, orange zest, and rosewater. Blend on high, scraping down sides as needed, until an extra smooth consistency is achieved. This might take some time depending on how high-powered your food processor or blender is.
- Pour filling onto base and set in the fridge for at least four hours, but preferably overnight. Garnish with nuts, petals, and zest to make it look pretty.