This raw apple pie is so simple but so good. The sweet, chewy, crust is made from dates and buckwheat groats and it tastes like caramel, which pairs perfectly with the fresh apple slices and chocolate sauce. Cinnamon enhances the flavors of this pie even more and a sprinkle of chopped almonds adds a delightful, crunchy texture.
Raw Apple Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling:
- 1 apple
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Crushed almonds
- Chocolate sauce
To Make the Crust:
- Blend everything together in a food processor and then spread it into the bottom of your pie pan.
To Make the Chocolate Sauce:
- In a bowl mix, together ingredients and stir until well-combined.
- Cut one apple into 14-16 slices. Place into lemon juice to keep from browning. Place the slices onto the crust and sprinkle with cinnamon, crushed almonds, and chocolate sauce.
- Place in the refrigerator for about an hour before serving.