There's nothing better than a dessert made from wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about eating. These brownies are made from cacao powder, Medjool dates, walnuts, and Brazil nuts. Delicious, raw, and made right in the freezer.
Raw Afghan Brownie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups organic walnuts, soaked, rinsed, and well drained or dehydrated
- 2 cups Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts, almonds, raw cacao nibs, or crushed organic corn flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon organic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Grated zest of 1 orange or a pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- Pulse your Brazil nuts or almonds in a food processor until still quite chunky then set aside.
- Blend walnuts in your food processor until finely ground.
- Add cacao powder, salt, and vanilla powder.
- One by one add dates while the motor is running until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir through the nuts, cacao nibs or cornflakes, or add to your processor and pulse a few times (be very careful not to pulse too much here or you'll lose that 'crunch' factor).
- Line a pan with baking paper, pour mixture in, and press down with your palm until firm. Place in freezer for at least one hour until set, or preferably overnight, then slice into squares.
- Top with a teaspoon of coconut chocolate butter on each square, sprinkle with raw cacao powder, then press a walnut half into each square. Serve with cream.