Ratatouille is a classic French meal that originated in the town of Nice. It's simple and easy to prepare and cook. Everyone can make it! The basic ingredients are zucchini, eggplants and tomatoes. Some people like to add some red or yellow bell peppers, or yellow squash instead of the zucchini. It doesn’t matter how you prepare it, everyone will love this meal. It’s the perfect option for a healthy and flavorful lunch or dinner.
Ratatouille Casserole [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 large yellow or red tomato for the sauce
- 2 garlic cloves for the sauce (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree (canned)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large green zucchini
- 2 large red or yellow tomatoes
- More extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil for the baking
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnishing
- Pprepare the ingredients. Wash the eggplant and dice it into slices.
- Season them with some salt and set aside. After about 5 to 10 minutes, use a towel to drain them from the excess liquid.
- Preheat a non-stick cooking pan or something like that on a medium high heat.
- Wash and dice the tomato for the sauce into small pieces. Peel and chop the garlic clove.
- Add the two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or other oil of your choice to the pan.
- Add the diced tomatoes,chopped garlic clove and tomato puree.
- Stir and cook the sauce until it's thick and creamy. Around 10 minutes.
- After that, remove the pan from the heat and season the sauce with some salt and black pepper powder.
- Wash and dice the other tomatoes and green zucchini into slices.
- Get a casserole dish and sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil on the bottom.
- Pour the ready tomato sauce in the casserole dish.
- Take the sliced veggies and arrange them in the dish.
- Toss them with more olive oil and sprinkle with some fresh thyme on the top.
- Put the casserole in preheated to 400°F oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
This meal is customizable. You can use peppers instead of tomatoes, or use other types of seasonings and spices of your choice.