I had never made vegan muffins before, but simply switching out the egg with chia eggs was so painless and easy that I was honestly surprised. This Raspberry Cornmeal Muffin recipe is actually based on a cornbread recipe that I absolutely love – so you could also make it in a pan, but you would just need to somewhat adjust the baking time.
Raspberry Cornmeal Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 chia "egg"*
- ¾ cup rice-coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil**
- 1 handful raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Sift the spelt flour and cornmeal in a bowl and whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine - don't over mix!
- Either add the raspberries in carefully right now, or place 2-3 later in each muffin "cup" by hand.
- Use a mini muffin tray and either grease it with coconut oil or use paper liners like I did.
- Fill each muffin cup about ⅔ full (spread the batter evenly between the cups, this was the perfect amount for me). Don't forget the raspberries, if you haven't added them in yet!
- Bake for about 35 minutes - start checking around the 20 minute mark, it really depends on your oven. A toothpick should come out clean, then they are done.
*Chia "egg": 1 Tablespoon chia seeds + 3 Tablespoons water, let gel up for 15 minutes. I always grind up the chia seeds, so you can't detect them anymore later. **I used coconut oil, but it is a bit of a pain to work with here. Make sure that all the other liquid ingredients are at least room temperature, better warmer - otherwise the coconut oil will turn solid again! If that happens, just pop the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the coconut oil again.