This easy vegan ramen is quick to make, gluten free, protein-packed, flavorful, salty, and loaded with noods without being overly heavy.
Ramen [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 1-2 teaspoons oil of choice
- 1 cup mushrooms (shiitake or cremini- sliced thinly)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 inch chunk of ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso paste (brown or white)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 brown rice ramen cakes (Lotus Foods)
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (350g- cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (to add at the end)
Finely slice the mushrooms (option to use a mandolin). Finely chop the ginger and garlic. Option to add the ginger and garlic to a food processor to do the chopping for you.
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add 1-2 teaspoons of oil in. Once hot, add the mushrooms, ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms just start to brown. Then add the miso paste and whisk it in along with the tamari, sesame oil and maple syrup. Whisk it all together and then add the vegetable broth.
Bring the broth to a slight boil and then let it simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add in the 2 ramen noodle cakes and the tofu cubes and over medium heat let the noodles cook until they are soft. This will depend on the ramen noodles you use, but roughly 5 minutes more.
To serve, dish out the ramen and top with sliced green onions.
This gluten free ramen is best fresh.