Rajma Pulao is a savory, slow-cooked dish made from kidney beans, onions, bell peppers, and spices. It is filling, tasty, and contains just the right amount of tangy spice. The dish is served over caulifower rice, so it's light and healthy too.
Rajma Pulao With Cauliflower Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup tomatoes,
- 1/2 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the base of a pressure cooker and add in the whole cumin seeds.
- When they begin to crackle, add in the red onion and ginger and sautée them well for 7-8 minutes or until the onion softens and begins to turn golden.
- Add the cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt and mix everything in well.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans with 1 1/2 cups of water and the sugar and cook them under pressure for about 25 minutes on the stove top or 40 minutes in the electric cooker.
- While the beans are cooking, grate the cauliflower. You should have about 1 1/2 cups of grated cauliflower.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the turmeric and salt.
- Mix in the cauliflower and the pepper and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Add in the corn.
- Once the beans are cooked, remove the cover of the pressure cooker. Check for the amount of sauce. There should be very little cooking liquid, just enough to loosely coat the vegetable mixture.
- Stir in the cauliflower gently and cook the mixture for 2 minutes. Taste the dish and add salt and spices as you see fit.
- Add the garam masala and mix it in well.
- Sprinkle the lime juice and cilantro over the top to finish the dish.