These are the ultimate comfort food and such a delight. Plus, they're not super difficult to make and so delicious!
Quinoa and Red Bean Tacos With Mango Salsa [Vegan]
For Quinoa and Red Bean Filling
- 1/2 cup mix quinoa, cooked as per the cooking instruction on the package
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped in cubes
- 1 1/2 can cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or red vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Mango Tomato Salsa
- 1 medium fresh mango, peeled and diced in small cubes 4 plum tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Proceed to making the quinoa as per the cooking instruction on the package. Once done, off the heat and set aside.
- To make the mango tomato salsa, in a small bowl, combine all the ingredient. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for couple of hours before serving.
- Prepare the oven, first remove the oven rack from inside the oven and then turn the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- On a medium heat, in a large wok or frying pan with a lid, heat the olive and avocado oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Now add the garlic, chili powder and paprika and cook for another minute. Then stir in the chopped garlic continue cooking for another minute. Don’t hesitate to add a drop of water to release the spices from the bottom of the pan if needed.
- Add the red bell peppers and cook for another minute. Then stir in quinoa and sauté for 34 minutes. Now it’s time to add the kidney beans, tamari, tomato sauce, agave syrup, vinegar, water and continue to cook over low heat with the lid half covering the pan for further 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and adjust the spices according to your taste. One done turn off the heat and cover with lid to keep warm.
- Now make the Taco shells, wrap 6 tortilla wraps in a slightly damp kitchen towel and put it in the microwave on High for about 30 seconds to steam the wraps. Continue the same with the rest of the tortilla wraps if making more taco shells
- Remove from the microwave and lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and spray both sides with oil spray. Then carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. And bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
- Once ready to make the tacos, fill each taco shell with the quinoa mixture and top it up with mango tomato salsa.