These vegetable rolls are made of phyllo dough that is lovingly filled with a mixture of quinoa, lentils, zucchini, and fresh herbs. They make for the perfect finger food at parties because who can resist a savory pastry? Make it interesting by serving alongside a spicy sauce made from tomatoes and sweet mango.
Quinoa and Lentil Vegetable Rolls With Spicy Mango-Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
For the Quinoa and Lentil Vegetable Rolls:
- 1 package of phyllo dough
- 3 tablespoons of cooked quinoa
- 1 small carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons of cooked black lentils
- 5 cashews
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of saffron
- 8 mint leaves, optional
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
For the Mango and Tomato Sauce:
- 2 San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 ounce of slightly unripe fresh mangoes
- Pepper, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- Lime, as needed
To Make the Mango and Tomato Sauce:
- Blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds before peeling and removing the seeds. Cut into small pieces. Chop the mango in small pieces as well. Mix the tomato and mango together in a mortar until it is a paste-like consistency.
- Add a few drops of lime and, if you like, a bit of chopped mint. Add salt and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Before serving, add a little extra virgin olive oil to soften and create a full-bodied sauce.
To Make the Quinoa and Lentil Vegetable Rolls:
- Cut the carrots, zucchini, and onion into sticks.
- In a pan with two tablespoons of olive oil, sauté the carrot for a minute. Add the onion and sauté for a 1 minute before adding the zucchini and cook until slightly softened but still crisp. Add corn, lentils, coarsely chopped cashews, and saffron, and parsley. Cook 30 seconds and mix well.
- Cut the phyllo dough into 4 inch strips. Put a spoonful of filling at the base and close by folding the outer edges towards the interior and then rolling up the bundle on itself the whole length of the dough. Seal with a little water and then brush with olive oil. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown. Serve warm or cold accompanied by cold sauce.