How about a scrumptious burger with a crispy grilled quinoa patty, delicious burger sauce, and fresh salad greens? Yes, please!
Quinoa and Chickpea Burgers With Burger Sauce [Vegan]
For the patties:
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 red onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the burger sauce:
- 1 shallot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped bread and butter pickles
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 sweet potato buns
- 4 handfuls salad greens
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- Prepare the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Then let cool.
- Grind the chia seeds, mix with 1/4 cup water, and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion. Put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a hot frying pan and fry the onion over medium heat for 7 minutes. Dice the mushrooms and gently stir into the onion.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Coarsely chop the chickpeas in a food processor with soy sauce, vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Finely grind the oats in a blender and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic, quinoa, chia seed mixture, fried onions, chickpea paste, and spices and knead well by hand.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rest for 10 minutes, knead again and shape the mixture into four patties.
- For the sauce, finely chop the shallot and mix with the other ingredients.
- Brush the patties with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and cook over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
- Cut the burger buns open and warm them on their cut side over direct heat for 1 minute. Cover the bottom half with salad greens, one patty and some cabbage. Top with sauce and cover with the other half of the bun.