Sweet, creamy homemade vegan ice cream can be yours — without an ice cream maker! This pretty purple ice cream has a rich coconut milk base that's sweetened with maple syrup and made a gorgeous shade of dark lavender with purple sweet potato purée. You can't get better than veggies and ice cream.
Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream (Without a Machine!) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/ cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup purple sweet potato purée
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vodka (see notes)
- Put all ingredients, except the vanilla and vodka, in a blender and mix until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and alcohol. Pour into a container and chill overnight.
- Put the mixture in ice cream and follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
- To make it without an ice cream maker, pour the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe bowl and freeze for about 3 hours, mixing well every 30 minutes. After 3 hours, scoop into bowls and serve.
Vodka keeps the ice cream from freezing rock-solid.