This delicious soup is packed with nourishing vegetables and hearty grains! Carrots, leeks, and parsley stalks are the base, it is bulked up with barley and split peas, and it's finished off with crunchy savoy and purple cabbage — which turns the broth a gorgeous purple color. Garnish with fresh lemon juice and parsley for extra flavor and serve with bread.
Purple Magic Soup [Vegan]
- 8.8 ounces leeks
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 bunch of parsley
- 3/8 cups barley
- 3/8 cups split peas
- 1 clove of garlic
- 6 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounces savoy cabbage
- 3.5 ounces red/purple cabbage
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon rice syrup or agave syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the leeks and carrots.
- Pour olive oil into a saucepan and simmer leeks and carrots for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove parsley from the stalks, then finely chop the stalks.
- Add the peas, barley, vegetable broth, chopped parsley stalks, and pressed garlic and boil. Cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Slice the cabbage into small strips and finely chop parsley.
- Lower heat to low and add savoy cabbage, red cabbage, half the fresh parsley, lemon juice, apple cider, and rice syrup and stir well. Cook with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the remaining fresh parsley.