A creamy, lightly smoky hummus with the brilliant flavor and color of pumpkin!
Pumpkincredible Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can white beans (cannellini or other), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium-large clove garlic
- 1-1 1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (rounded) ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see note for toasting; reserve about 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
- In a food processor add all ingredients except pumpkin seeds (and starting with 1 tablespoon tahini). Puree until very smooth. Taste, and if you’d like to add addditional garlic or spices, add a little (and if you’d like a richer tahini flavor, add the other tablespoon). Then, add most of the pumpkin seeds (reserving a couple of tbsps), and pulse through. Transfer mixture to a serving dish, and top with remaining pumpkin seeds. Serve with whole-grain pita breads, tortilla chips, warm whole-grain bread, etc.
- Beans Note: The combination of chickpeas and white beans makes this hummus a little creamier than using just chickpeas alone.
- To toast pumpkin seeds, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° F for several minutes until they turn a golden color and you can smell a nutty aroma. This won’t take long, maybe about 5-7 minutes, possibly longer depending on your oven. Just be sure to watch them after about 6-7 minutes, as they can burn quickly.