This pumpkin spice ice cream cookie is the perfect sweet treat to make in honor of the transition from summer to fall. When it's chilly enough in the morning to need a jacket but warm in the afternoon, it provides you with the cool, chilly satisfaction of ice cream sandwiches between two big chocolate chip pumpkin spice cookies. This cookie sandwich is big enough to serve two, so grab a friend and enjoy it while taking in the beautiful weather.
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Cookie Dry Ingredients:
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
For the Cookie Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon hot water
For the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches:
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon of extra chocolate chips to put around the edges
- 1/2 cup of vegan vanilla ice cream
To Make the Cookie:
- In a large mixing bowl, add your butter and microwave until melted, then add you sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and hot water, then mix all your dry ingredients together
- Add dry ingredients: flour , baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Mix everything together really well and then fold in chocolate chips
- Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, just so it's easier to form balls and pre-heat the oven to 370°F.
- Use a non-stick cookie sheet or spray one with non-stick spray and form large balls about the size of a golf ball. Place them on the cookie sheet and smash them down into a large cookie shape.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes and let cool.
To Make the Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- In a small bowl, melt your chocolate chips
- Spread if over half of the top cookie.
- Let the cookie sit for about an hour so the chocolate can firm up or place in freezer for 10 minutes to speed up the process. The cookie will have a chewy texture after being in the freezer.
- Scoop out your 1/2 cup of ice cream and set it on the bottom cookie. Use the back of a spatula to flatten it. This will be easier to do if the ice cream is soft.
- Place the top cookie on and then place the extra chocolate chips around the edges.
Makes about 15 cookies, depending on size. The ice cream sandwich recipe makes one ice cream sandwich, but could be enough for two because it's huge.