These pumpkin pancakes will be the perfect way to wake up on a fall morning! With some protein and a lot of autumnal flavor, you'll be ready to go about your day after getting this nutritious and tasty breakfast.
Pumpkin Sourdough Protein Pancakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free]
- 1/4 cup gluten-free sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or any other gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
In the morning:
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (or non-diary chocolate chips)
- A handful of chopped pecans (optional but highly recommended!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- The night before making the pancakes, place the overnight sponge ingredients into a non-reactive bowl. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.
- In the morning, before you make the pancakes, add all the other ingredients (except baking powder and baking soda) into the overnight sponge. Stir well.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add baking soda and baking powder to the batter and gently stir them in.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake and fry until you see bubbles forming on the surface of the pancakes and the edges dry out a bit, around 1 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully flip the pancakes and fry the other side for another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Continue with the rest of the batter until you have used up all the batter.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cacao powder, cinnamon powder, and maple syrup.