Comfort foods and pumpkins are a match made in heaven. This delicious pumpkin shepherd's pie is packed with a spicy chickpea tomato filling and then covered with a layer of creamy pumpkin purée. It is the best food to warm you up on a cold windy and rainy day when the salad is no longer an option. Even though the ingredients list is quite a long, this recipe is super simple and easy to make.
Pumpkin Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups mashed roasted pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 1/3 cups cherry tomatoes
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Halved cherry tomatoes, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 390°F and grease four small ramekins with a bit of olive oil.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the spices and sauté until fragrant. Add the grated carrots, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, kale, parsley, and vegan cream cheese into the pan. Stir well and let simmer covered for about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of mashed pumpkin onto the bottom of each pot/mug and spread it evenly also onto the sides, so that you have about 1/4-inh thick pumpkin layer covering all the sides. Add the filling, top with halved cherry tomatoes and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve.