Pumpkin season usually means two things: you're gonna be using a lot of pumpkin in your recipes and you're gonna be throwing out a lot of pumpkin rinds. Well, before you do, check out this pumpkin rind stir-fry! This earthy dish is bursting with color and combines typically discarded pumpkin rinds with potatoes, onion, and a ton of fragrant spices. You can serve this as a light side dish or put it in between two pieces of toasted flatbread for a yummy lunch!
Pumpkin Rind Stir-Fry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin rind, chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida, garlic powder, or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil or water in a pan. Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add chopped onions and sauté for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and mix well. Sauté for another minute.
- Add chopped potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now add chopped pumpkin rind and mix well.
- Cook covered for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for another minute if potatoes are still raw.
- Add coriander powder and red chili powder and mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Serve hot.