These custards are magical - creamy, luscious, and like having a mini pumpkin pie (without the crust!) all to yourself! These are on our annual Thanksgiving and Christmas menus, definitely make them for your holiday celebrations - and with the brûlée topping!
Pumpkin Pie Custards With Brulee Topping [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pumpkin Pie Custards With Brulee Topping [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup, packed, pumpkin purée (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 ¼ cups plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar or other unrefined sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tsp agar powder
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Few pinches freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch or two allspice
- Pinch or two ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Few teaspoons of unrefined sugar for caramelized topping (optional, see note)
How to Prepare Pumpkin Pie Custards With Brulee Topping [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place 5 or 6 ramekins (mine are 3 inches in diameter - from the inside - and almost 2 inches deep) in an 8 by 11-inch glass baking dish. Bring roughly 3 cups of water to a boil in a kettle.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients (except the sugar for topping) and puree until very, very smooth in a blender. Finally, pour the boiled water into the baking dish to surround the ramekins (but don’t get any water in the ramekins).
- Then pour the pureed pumpkin mixture evenly into each ramekin. If using six ramekins, they will be about two-thirds full; if using five, they will be just about completely full. Carefully place the baking dish into the oven.
- Bake for 32 to 34 minutes until the custards are set around the edges but a touch looser in the center. Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool slightly until you can safely remove and transfer each custard to a cooling rack. Let cool a little more. The custards are best still a little warm but can also be served chilled.
- Sprinkle 1⁄2 to 1 teaspoon of unrefined sugar over the top, and then use either a small butane torch or oven broiler to caramelize it.
- If using the oven broiler: Set the oven to BROIL, and then place the individual ramekins under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Check after 3 minutes, and then again at the 4-minute mark. If not done, broil for another minute or so. If doing this brûlée finish, do it soon before serving, as the crunchy topping will soften if prepared too long in advance.
Turn these Custards into Pumpkin Brûlée
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Agar Agar
- Arrowroot Flour
- Pumpkin Seed
- Pumpkin Spice
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 222 | Carbs: 42 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 5 mg | Sugar: 33 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.