Each bite of this pumpkin molasses freezer tart is bursting with delicious flavor, it's basically a pumpkin latte in dessert form! It begins with a chocolatey base spiked with coffee, continues with a soft tahini-date filling sweetened with molasses and vanilla, and is topped with a sweet and spicy pumpkin puree. Garnish this tricolor beauty with some raisins and nuts, set it in the freezer for a few hours, and then enjoy a slice (or two).
Pumpkin Molasses Freezer Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Creamy Base:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas or soft white beans
- 1/4 cup dates, soaked for at least 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons sweet molasses or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons date soaking water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Chocolate Bottom:
- 1/2 of the creamy base ingredients once blended
- 1 teaspoon strong, good quality coffee (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon date soaking water, as required
- 1 tablespoon flax meal or oat bran (omit to make it grain-free)
For the Pumpkin Top:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon sweet molasses
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Raisins and nuts/seeds of choice
- Blend your creamy base until smooth, setting aside half.
- Blend the remaining creamy base with the chocolate bottom ingredients until smooth, then pour into a spring-form pan.
- Freeze for 5 minutes or so, then pour the creamy base on top and freeze for another 5 minutes.
- Blend your pumpkin top and pour over the top. Garnish as desired and freeze for 20 minutes. Slice and serve.