This delicious pumpkin infused gnocchi is absolutely delicious! Perfect for the colder seasons, and with a creamy mushroom sauce poured on top, you're in for a delightful, satisfying dinner.
Pumpkin Gnocchi With Creamy Mushroom Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Gnocchi:
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (make you own by baking pumpkin in the oven for 30 minutes at 350°F and then blending it)
- 1- 1 and 1/2 cups rice flour (if not gluten-free use normal wheat or spelt flour) - first add 1 cup and if it's still too sticky add in more flour (the amount will depend on if your pumpkin puree is watery or not) - the more flour you use the harder the gnocchi will get
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal plus 3 tablespoons water)
- Dash of salt and pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1 and 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- Prepare the flax egg and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the pumpkin purée with the flax egg and salt and pepper. Slowly add in 1 cup of flour and combine to a dough. If needed, add more flour (it shouldn't be too sticky, but easily kneadable and formable).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and place them on a floured surface. Start rolling the first piece into a sausage like form and cut into small gnocchi pieces. Repeat this step with the rest of the dough.
- Bring a pot with water to a boil and form the small pieces with your hands into the desired gnocchi shape. Once boiling place the gnocchi inside the water and let cook until they float on the surface (this will take between 2-4 minutes).
- In the meantime, heat a non-sticking frying pan and place the onions inside. Add the veggie broth, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the spices, nutritional yeast and tomatoes and stir. Finally add the milk and tapioca flour and let cook until creamy.
- When the gnocchi are ready, immediately add them into the sauce and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add fresh cilantro and lime juice on top and enjoy!