These scones are a healthier, gluten free and vegan version of the classic baked good that you can enjoy everyday of the week rather than as a treat every now and again. Besides the texture, one of the best things about these scones is the not-too-sweet taste. Any biscuit-like bread just begs for a thick layer of berry jam spread on top. You could of course stick with regular jam instead of the chia jam, but its a great reduced sugar healthier version.
Protein Scones with Blackberry Chia Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the scones:
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 chia egg
- 15g of vegan protein (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 3/4 almond milk
- Handful of frozen raspberries
For the chia jam:
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line or grease a muffin tin.
- To make the chia egg, combine chia seeds with water and set aside for 5-10mins.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, adding the milk last until the desired consistency is achieved. The consistency should be similar to porridge but not too runny.
- Scoop mixture into the muffin tray. Bake in the oven for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the chia jam by microwaving the frozen blackberries until warm and then mix in the chia seeds and leave to stand for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven to cool and keep in an air tight container in the fridge.