These easy wraps super light in texture but filling and packed with plant-based protein. The quinoa salad is an amazing mixture of textures and flavors; tangy red onion, fresh tomato, juicy mango, crisp bell peppers, raisins, and fresh herbs ... yum! The edamame pesto brings more protein to the table, so even though these wraps are served in collard leaves, this is an easy and portable lunch that won't leave you hungry.
Protein-Packed California Quinoa Collard Wraps With Edamame Pesto [Vegan]
For the Edamame Pesto:
- 1 1/2 cup shelled edamame, cooked and cooled
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- A dash of sea salt and pepper
For the California Quinoa Salad:
- 2-2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (about 2/3 uncooked)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2-2/3 cup mango, peeled and diced (or use frozen mango to save time)
- 1/2 cup red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (raw or roasted)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-5 large collard green leaves
To Make the Pesto:
- Deshell your edamame pods. Then simply combine your edamame, seeds, and garlic in a food processor. Blend, then add in your oil, lemon, and salt/pepper. Blend again, until a thick pesto is formed. Scoop into a bowl and set aside or cover and store in the refrigerator for later. Makes around 1 cup
To Make the California Quinoa Salad:
- Make sure you have your quinoa cooked first. This is a great use of leftover quinoa as well.
- Dice/chop all your vegetables and peeled mango. Combine them in a large bowl with the quinoa. Add your seeds, cranberries, and cilantro and toss all together. Add in your red wine vinegar and sea salt/pepper and toss again.
- Next, trim your collard green leaves so that the stem is cut off just leaving the whole leaf. Rinse each leaf then dry and place in between a paper towel. Keep them in a paper towel and place in microwave for 10 seconds or so, to lightly steam and soften.
- Remove and lay flat on cutting board or plate.
- Next scoop 2-4 tablespoons of pesto onto each wrap then 1/4-1/3 cup of the quinoa salad. Roll up tightly.
- Repeat until your quinoa and pesto are all used up or store the rest for later.