This bowl is a comfort food dream! It's a lighter, vegan version of the original Poutine bowl which has all of the same ingredients plus a layer of cheese. As a replacement for the cheese, this bowl uses a thick, creamy, salty, umami, pourable, and cozy miso gravy. Delish!
Poutine Bowl [Vegan]
For the French Fries:
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 10-15 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Miso Gravy:
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons rye or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- A handful of arugula per bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes into long fry-shaped strips. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and toss with paprika, thyme, sunflower oil, salt, and pepper. Lay fries on the prepared baking tray. For best results, don't allow the fries to touch each other. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes flipping halfway, or until crispy and browned.
- While the fries are baking, make the gravy. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth and 2 tablespoons of miso, whisk to combine until it forms a clumpy paste and set aside. Combine the olive oil and minced garlic in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Once the garlic starts to sizzle, wait about 1 minute and then add in the rye flour and arrowroot, whisk to combine. Add in the miso/vegetable broth paste while still whisking. Pour in the remaining cup of vegetable broth, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast. Whisk until smooth. Turn the heat up to high and bring the mixture to a boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the gravy is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof container.
- To serve, layer the bottom of each bowl with a handful of arugula. Top with fries, gravy, green onions, nutritional yeast flakes, and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.