This big heaping breakfast skillet is perfect for serving a household of hungry mouths! Serving meals in a skillet brings out that warm and fuzzy feeling inside, and somehow even makes the meal taste better.
Potato Hash and Tofu Scramble Skillet [Vegan]
4 to 6
For the Potato Hash:
- 2 pounds baby white potatoes, quartered (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Tofu Scramble:
- 1 (about 16-ounces) brick medium-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (optional)
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 cup packed, stemmed, and finely chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan bacon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- To make the potato hash, place the quartered potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, approximately 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tofu scramble. Drain the tofu and pat dry of excess moisture with a tea towel or paper towel. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or oven-safe pan over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the crumbled tofu, shallots, green onions, and red pepper and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and about half cooked.
- Add the nutritional yeast, the turmeric, up to 1 teaspoon of the salt (adjust to your taste), and the pepper. Stir to combine and cook for another 2 minutes. At this point you can add up to 1/4 cup of the nondairy milk if the mixture looks too dry and cook for another minute. Remove the scramble from the pan to another dish and set aside.
- To cook the potato hash, wipe out any excess scramble from the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil, potatoes, paprika, salt, and pepper and toss to coat the potatoes well.
- Cook for 12 to 14 minutes, stirring only a couple of times and allowing the potato quarters to crisp on the bottom.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, lowering the heat slightly to prevent burning.
- Add the scramble on top of the potatoes in the skillet or transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish if you can’t put your pan in the oven. Surround the scramble with the chopped kale and top with the cheese shreds.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the kale looks crisp and the cheese is completely melted and slightly browned.
- Top with the avocado slices, vegan bacon, and chives before serving. Add hot sauce to taste to individual servings if desired.