Potatoes and chives are like peanut butter and jelly. They’re just so delicious and happy together. The Potato Chive Soup recipe has a fresh herb flavor that is delightful. The red pepper flakes add a touch of heat that compliments the earthy potatoes and onion chive flavor nicely. Fresh dill and garlic add an extra boost of flavor to the soup.
Earthy Potato Chive Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup chives, chopped (reserve a few for garnish)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste to achieve desired heat)
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and a small pinch of the salt and pepper; sauté onions for 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, potato cubes, and chives. Sauté for 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable broth, water, dill, salt, pepper, thyme and red pepper flakes. Bring soup to a boil.
- When the soup comes to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, and blend with an immersion blender. When blending if the soup is too thick add a small amount of water or vegetable broth at a time until the desired thickness is achieved. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish soup with a few chopped chives; serve immediately.