Pongal or South Indian Khichuri as my mother likes to call it is one of my favorite all-time comfort foods. Melted ghee or clarified butter and the toasted cashew nuts make all the difference!
Pongal: South Indian Rice and Lentil Porridge [Vegan]
- 1 cup moong lentils
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional, note this is usually not added)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- Place the rice, dal, ginger, salt, turmeric water and salt and black pepper in the instant pot. Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Do a quick steam release and stir well.
- Heat the ghee or clarified butter in a small skillet and add in the black mustard seeds and wait until the seeds crackle.
- Add the dried red chilies and the cashew nuts and cook for 30 seconds. Add the curry leaves and pour the mixture over the rice and lentil mixture and stir well.
- Enjoy hot!