In this recipe, a layer of fresh pomegranate seeds rests on a layer of chocolate balsamic reduction and creamy coconut panna cotta. These little puddings have so many contrasting flavors going on, from the tart seeds, to the rich balsamic reduction — and they look adorable served in little jars.
Pomegranate Coconut Panna Cotta With a Chocolate Balsamic Reduction [Vegan]
For the Panna Cotta:
- 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon agar agar powder
- 2 tablespoons beet juice
For the Balsamic Reduction:
- 1 cup balsamic reduction
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
To Make the Panna Cotta:
- Take the can of coconut milk and shake it to mix the liquid and cream together. Open it and pour in a pan, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of agar agar powder, and 2 tablespoons of beet juice. Stir well and bring up to medium heat.
- Let the agar agar powder dissolve for 5 minutes, then pour the mixture into 4 separate bowls.
- Let cool, and then refrigerate for 60 minutes until set.
To Make the Balsamic Reduction:
- Put 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a non-stick pan. Bring up to medium-high heat. Once it starts to boil, bring down to medium-low and let simmer until the vinegar has been reduced by a little more than half. Stir it on occasion.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely, then store in the refrigerator. It will thicken when it gets cold.
To Make the Chocolate Sauce:
- Whisk 1/2 cup of cocoa powder with 1/2 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of balsamic reduction together until well incorporated. If you prefer it to be thinner add a bit more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Divide into the 4 bowls, over the coconut agar agar jelly. Top with spoonfuls of fresh pomegranate seeds.