In this recipe, pomegranate seeds are placed in the bottom of a cake pan and then covered with a rich cake batter flavored with warm spices and molasses. It's then drizzled with a creamy chocolate sauce that goes perfectly with the tart pomegranate seeds. This wholesome spelt cake is also sweetened entirely with apples and molasses. Make it as a gift for your sweetheart, or keep it all to yourself.
Pomegranate and Molasses Upside Down Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
- 1 apple, grated (skin is fine)
- 2/3 cup cashew milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- The seeds of 1/2 a pomegranate
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 6-inch round cake pan. Evenly distribute the pomegranate seeds over the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, arrowroot, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Add in the grated apple, cashew milk, olive oil, molasses, and vanilla. Stir until everything is well incorporated (no flour pockets left).
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan over the pomegranate seeds. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. and then turn out the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Chocolate Drizzle:
- While the cake is cooling, make the sauce. Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Pour the sauce over the cake, sprinkle with some more pomegranate seeds and serve. Stores for up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge.