This mostly hands-off recipe calls for a couple of time-saving shortcuts. First, there’s quick-cooking polenta that’s prepared stovetop in under ten minutes. Next, there’s jarred marinara sauce that’s layered on top of the polenta before baking.
Polenta Veggie Bake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, sliced (about 1 large)
- 2 cups summer squash, sliced (about 1 large)
- 2 cups red onion, diced (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups eggplant, diced (about 1 small)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 1/2 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- Optional garnish: 1 cup non-dairy cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large roasting pan, combine zucchini, squash, red onion, eggplant, red pepper, oregano, thyme, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft and browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside. Lower oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Stir in polenta and continue stirring 5-7 minutes until cooked. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat.
- Coat the bottom of a 10-inch casserole dish with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil. Spread polenta into the dish so that it's a smooth, even layer.
- Layer cooked vegetables on top of the polenta. Top vegetables with marinara sauce, spreading evenly. Top with non-dairy cheese shreds, if you like.
- Bake 30 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Remove from the oven. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.