I loved pizza burgers back in the day and here is my version now. Doesn’t the sprinkle of parsley make it look fancy?! Vegan pizza burgers…a little Italian seasoning, fresh tomato sauce, and a creamy cashew topping. Lunch is served!
Pizza Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/4 cups cooked cannellini beans (equals a can)
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 leek, white part only
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (nooch)
- Handful of fresh parsley + extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- Salt, a pinch
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- Salt, a pinch
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion and garlic powder, optional
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup polenta
- Baking dish or brownie pan
- Circle cutter
- Small dice the onion and leek.
- Mince the garlic or use a garlic press.
- Water or oil sauté the onions, leeks and garlic until just soft.
- Add the mixture to the food processor along with the beans, seasoning, nooch, fresh parsley, quinoa flakes and a pinch of salt. Process until combined.
- Form into burgers and either bake or cook in a non-stick skillet with a little oil until browned on both sides and heated through.
- Place the cashews into the blender and add water and seasonings, if using. Let it rip until smooth.
- Boil the water. Add the polenta and stir.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the water is absorbed and the polenta pulls away from the side of the pot. Turn out into a baking dish and press flat.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and using a circle cutter, cut out circles about as big as the burger.
- Heat up about 1/2 cup of homemade or store bought tomato sauce.
- To plate, place a polenta round on a plate. Top with a burger. Top the burger with sauce. Drizzle with cashew cream. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish. Enjoy!