Carob? What’s carob? That was my initial question, too! Carob is best known as a chocolate replacement. It has a similar taste, but the key piece is that it does not contain caffeine. This is a great alternative for individual who are not able to have caffeine in their diet. I love trying new things, so I was definitely game for using carob chips in my baking! To give you a better ideal of flavor, carob kind of tastes like combination of chocolate and caramel. Not as strong as dark chocolate or cacao, but definitely sweet! It was the perfect addition to these sweet & salty cookies!
Pistachio, Sea Salt, and Carob Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prep your cookie sheet with parchment paper – set aside.
- In large bowl, mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and flaxseed until well combined – about 4 minutes.
- Add salt, baking powder, and baking soda – mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour at a time to bowl, mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in chopped pistachios and carob chips.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and add to parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt before putting them in oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.