Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Who says you have to go to Philadelphia to enjoy a Philly cheesesteak? This vegan version of the popular Northeast fast food is amazing. Tofu is seared in liquid smoke and vegan Worcestershire sauce until savory and then stuffed into a sub roll with sautéed bell peppers, onions, and Portobello mushrooms. Then, it's topped with melty vegan cheese, wrapped in foil, and baked until piping hot and delicious.
Philly Tofu Cheesesteak With Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Philly Tofu Cheesesteak With Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu sliced in the rectangles, about 8 pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 6 ounces Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 block vegan cheese, shredded or homemade vegan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 sub rolls, sliced in half, but not all the way through
How to Prepare Philly Tofu Cheesesteak With Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the two sliced sub rolls on aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, and green bell peppers with liquid smoke, coconut oil, steak seasoning, red pepper, and vegan Worcestershire for 7-10 minutes, then add in the mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, increase the heat, throw in the tofu rectangles (adding more olive oil if needed), and cook for 7-10 minutes. Flip mid-way to get a good sear. Add the onions and peppers back into the skillet and toss together, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the shredded cheese to a large pot with almond milk. Cook for 7-10 minutes, occasionally stirring until melted and fully combined. Or, make your homemade vegan cheese.
- To assemble the tofu cheesesteaks, open one sub roll and add half of the tofu vegetable filling then top with half the vegan cheese. Repeat for the second sub roll. Tightly wrap each sub in aluminum foil then bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?