This is a delicious yet simple pesto potato salad, made complete with a smattering of chickpeas and green beans. With the goodness of energy-sustaining slow-release carbohydrates from the spuds, high-quality protein from the chickpeas, healthy fats in the pesto, and your essential greens in the beans and herbs, it really is the perfect plant-based meal in a bowl. Platter up a serving of this with some simple leafy greens and you've got an excellent mid-week meal, with enough for lunch the next day!
Pesto Potato Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 3.3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on
- 1.1 pounds green beans
- 1 13.5-ounce can chickpeas
For the Fresh Herb Pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, basil, or coriander
- 1/2 cups cashews, soaked 1 hour, rinsed, and drained
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chia seed oil or flaxseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- Zest, juice, and flesh of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Cracked black pepper. to taste
- Extra capers and herbs, to top
- Chop potatoes into 1 inch-sized chunks and put in a pot. Add 2 cups of boiling water (from the jug), a large pinch of sea salt, bring to the boil, then reduce to low and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, throw all your pesto ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until fully combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Next, trim the tops of your beans and cut them in half. Four minutes before your potatoes are done, throw the beans on top and put the lid back, on letting them steam for the last 4 minutes.
- If your pot isn't big enough, you can do these in a separate pot with just half a cup of boiling water (steaming them again with lid on, as opposed to boiling them). When the potatoes are done (you can put a knife through, but they're still firm) and beans are just turning bright green, drain them in a colander and leave to cool.
- You might like to rinse your beans under cold water if you'd like to retain that bright green color.
- Drain your chickpeas and rinse them in a colander.
- Now, carefully in a bowl add your potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, and pesto, and fold gently to combine.
- Top with extra capers and herbs, and serve warm on a bed of salad greens with a squeeze of lemon and extra sea salt and black pepper. Or pop in the refrigerator to serve cold the next day.
Will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.