Unseasoned tofu never draws people over to the barbecue—that’s a fact. However, nobody can resist our delicious, peppery marinated tofu steaks—that’s a promise.
Peppered Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pink pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 14 ounces frozen and thawed tofu
- For the marinade, mince the garlic and mix with the remaining ingredients, except the tofu, until smooth.
- Cut the tofu into slices 0.78 inches thick, add them to the marinade and leave for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Oil the grill and sear the tofu steaks over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, then finish cooking them over indirect heat with the lid closed for another 3 minutes. Baste often with the leftover marinade.
You can achieve attractive char marks if you sear the steaks on a cast-iron grill. Use a thin stainless steel spatula to turn them over.