Bowl meals make your life easy come dinner time! Try these peanut butter tofu banh mi bowls with cucumber, pickled carrots, cilantro, and tofu served over rice with a peanut butter sauce. Vegan, gluten-free, and loaded with flavor!
Peanut Butter Tofu Banh Mi Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Peanut Butter Tofu Banh Mi Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pickled Carrots:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded carrots
For the Tofu:
- 12 -ounces block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon each: reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1-2 tablespoons water (just enough to thin the sauce)
For the Bowls:
- 1/2 of a large cucumber, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cilantro stems, whole leaves or minced
- Sriracha, for serving
How to Prepare Peanut Butter Tofu Banh Mi Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Mix together white vinegar, salt, and sugar. Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Microwave for 30 seconds to speed up the process. Add carrots and let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, press the tofu between two plates with a weight (like canned foods) on top for 15 minutes. Dice tofu and toss with 1 TBS canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Cook tofu until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, combine peanut butter, tamari, rice vinegar, and chili paste. If it is hard to stir together, microwave for 20 seconds to melt the peanut butter. Add enough water to thin into a sauce, 1-2 TBS.
- In a large bowl, toss tofu with half of the peanut butter sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce for the bowls.
- To assemble bowls, place ¾ cup cooked rice in the bottom of each. Top each with half of the pickled carrots, tofu, cucumber, and cilantro. Drizzle the bowls with remaining peanut butter sauce and a squirt of sriracha.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 546 | Carbs: 52 g | Fat: 29 g | Protein: 27 g | Sodium: 522 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.