Who says you can’t be vegan and enjoy you cake and eat it??? This vegan peanut butter banana cake is so simple and turns out perfect every time as it rises even without egg! Peanut butter and banana is one of everyone's favorite food combos! This recipe is lower fat and refined sugar than most others and naturally sweetened with dried fruit, ripe bananas and almond milk.
Peanut Butter Banana Cake [Vegan]
For the cake:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sweetened almond milk
- 1/8 cup dates chopped
- 1/8 cup dried figs chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
For the peanut butter glaze:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar sieved
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 bar vegan dark chocolate
- 1 handful dried banana chips
For the cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil, then add bananas. Add water and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring just until wet. Then stir through the dried fruits and nuts
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
For the peanut butter glaze
- Slowly add water and almond milk tablespoon by tablespoon to the icing sugar until it reaches a smooth thick consistency
- Microwave peanut butter for 20 seconds on medium heat until it becomes runny. Then stir through the peanut butter
- Once the banana cake has completely cooled evenly spread the icing on the cake using a spoon. Then decorate with the banana chips