This recipe for the perfect post-workout snack just happens to taste like dessert! These protein bars are the perfect hybrid between cake and a chewy granola bar. Plus, it tastes like a peanut butter and banana sandwich with chocolate on top.
Peanut Butter and Banana Protein Bars [Vegan]
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
To Make the Protein Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8x8-inch glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small cup, make the flax egg by stirring together the flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water and set aside.
- In a large bowl add in the peanut butter, maple syrup, mashed banana, flax egg, and vanilla. Stir well until nice and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well to combine.
- Add in the cooked quinoa and chia seeds, mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into glass baking pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Once done set aside to cool.
To Make the Chocolate Drizzle:
- In a small bowl, microwave chips and coconut oil in 30-second intervals, stirring as needed.
- Drizzle on bars and serve.