This cool and refreshing dessert bowl brings together the best of two worlds: a classic PB&J sandwich and banana “ice cream.” You’ll serve the peanut butter–banana nice cream straight from the food processor when it has a lush consistency similar to soft serve, then you’ll top off your bowl with glossy stewed berries, crushed peanuts, and a nutty seed sprinkle. When freezing the bananas, I recommend cutting them into slices no larger than 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Not only is it easier on your food processor, but the bananas also break down faster and more evenly.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Nice Cream Bowls [Vegan]
For the Nice Cream Bowls:
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 medium bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 3/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1/4 cup) chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup Sweet Seed Sprinkle
Sweet Seed Sprinkle:
- 1/4 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds (regular, black, or a mix)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup chopped banana chips
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
For the Bowls:
- Place the berries and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring regularly and breaking up the berries with the back of a spoon until the berries have burst and the mixture is slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add the frozen bananas to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Process just until the bananas are crumbly. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the peanut butter. With the motor running, slowly pour in the nut milk and process until smooth and creamy.
- To serve immediately, divide the nice cream among four bowls. Top with the berry compote, peanuts, and Sweet Seed Sprinkle. If not serving immediately, transfer to a lidded airtight container and freeze.
For the Sweet Seed Sprinkle:
- Place the cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, sesame seeds, and flaxseeds in a medium skillet. Toast over medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet to cool completely. Stir in the banana chips and cacao nibs.
- Get a head start! The stewed berries can be cooked in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until serving. - Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.