This recipe is great to make for a gathering or you can freeze pieces of it to enjoy later on when you don’t want to cook.
Pastelon (Plantain Lasagna) [Vegan]
- 4 yellow plantains
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 package vegan beef crumbles
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons recao
- 8 olives
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 can tomato sauce
- sazón seasoning for sprinkling
- adobo seasoning for sprinkling
- 1 can worth aquafaba (brine from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 can French green beans
- 1 bag vegan mozzarella cheese for sprinkling
- Peel and slice each plantain in half. Thinly slice each half lengthwise into strips.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Take 2 tablespoons of oil and brush both sides of each plantain strip.
- Place the plantain strips on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and sauté the onions, recao and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the olives and tomato sauce and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the crumbled vegan beef and cook for 10 minutes. If it starts to dry out add a little bit of water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a baking pan with olive oil or refined coconut oil.
- Line up some of the plantain strips on the bottom of the pan to form a layer. Make sure the strips cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle a layer of vegan mozzarella cheese to cover all of the plantain strips.
- Spread some of the vegan meat mixture on top of the cheese to cover it.
- Spread some of the green beans throughout the layer.
- Repeat steps 10-13 until all of the vegan meat mixture is used. Top the pastelón with a layer of plantains and cheese.
- In a small bowl mix add the aquafaba and sprinkle some
- sazón and adobo and mix together.
- Pour the aquafaba mixture over the entire pastelón making sure it goes through to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum and bake for 30 minutes.