In this dish, eggplant adds a really rich flavor to sauces and the red pepper flake adds a really subtle heat that complements it all perfectly.
Pasta alla Norma – Eggplant Tomato Pasta [Vegan]
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 onion – small dice
- 4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1/4 fresh basil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 – 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes – rough chopped
- 1/2 pound of spaghetti
- Olive Oil as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large non-stick pan. Cube eggplant into a medium dice (removing seeds if desired) and place in the olive oil. The eggplant will soak up the oil, so add more as needed in order to cook the eggplant. Cook until the eggplant start to soften and become golden brown. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper and continue to cook until very soft and golden
- Remove eggplant and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until translucent. Then add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant. Finally, add back the eggplant and add the tomatoes and basil and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with sauce. Add more fresh basil if you want!