These fluffy golden rolls are a Filipino breakfast bread that goes wonderfully with a bit of jam and coffee. They are slightly sweet and incredibly addictive. Plus, this recipe makes a big batch so you can munch on them for a few days.
Pandesal: Filipino Breakfast Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pandesal: Filipino Breakfast Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm almond milk
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading (about 1/2 - 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to activate the yeast
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, optional
How to Prepare Pandesal: Filipino Breakfast Bread [Vegan]
- Pour yeast in plant-based milk then add sugar.
- Mix this to combine.
- Set this aside for 15 minutes or until foamy. Meanwhile, using a different bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, flax meal, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add the shortening then pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients.
- Stir them using a spatula or wooden spoon until you have a soft, sticky dough.
- On a lightly-floured surface, place dough and knead it.
- Gradually and lightly add more flour. Knead this until the dough is smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and transfer dough to the bowl.
- Flip the dough to oil the other side.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel. Set it aside in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about an hour.
- Punch the dough a couple of times to release air.
- Transfer this to the work surface and roll dough into logs.
- Divide logs into equal pieces. Form them into your desired shapes.
- Transfer the dough pieces to a parchment paper-lined tray, leaving about an inch apart to make room for rising.
- Set this aside in a warm place for another hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake them in a preheated oven at 400°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the rolls warm with your favorite spread or enjoy them as is.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 143 | Carbs: 25g | Fat: 3g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 11mg | Sugar: 7gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.