These fluffy golden rolls are a Filipino breakfast bread that goes wonderfully with a bit of jam and coffee. They are slightly sweet and incredibly addictive. Plus, this recipe makes a big batch so you can munch on them for a few days.
Pandesal: Filipino Breakfast Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm almond milk
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading (about 1/2 - 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to activate the yeast
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, optional
- Pour yeast in plant-based milk then add sugar.
- Mix this to combine.
- Set this aside for 15 minutes or until foamy. Meanwhile, using a different bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, flax meal, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add the shortening then pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients.
- Stir them using a spatula or wooden spoon until you have a soft, sticky dough.
- On a lightly-floured surface, place dough and knead it.
- Gradually and lightly add more flour. Knead this until the dough is smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and transfer dough to the bowl.
- Flip the dough to oil the other side.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel. Set it aside in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about an hour.
- Punch the dough a couple of times to release air.
- Transfer this to the work surface and roll dough into logs.
- Divide logs into equal pieces. Form them into your desired shapes.
- Transfer the dough pieces to a parchment paper-lined tray, leaving about an inch apart to make room for rising.
- Set this aside in a warm place for another hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake them in a preheated oven at 400°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the rolls warm with your favorite spread or enjoy them as is.