This is the cutest way to eat pancakes—and go viral. They’re just like Pancake Cereal, which you’ve seen probably a million times, but with a twist. Excerpted fromThe Unofficial TikTok Cookbookby Valentina Mussi. Copyright © 2021 by The Sweetportfolio Company, Inc.Photographs by Harper Point Photography. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Panda Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups complete (“just add water”) pancake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black food coloring
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pancake mix and water. Let batter rest 5 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle to its lowest setting and coat uniformly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour 3/4 of batter into a squeeze bottle and set aside.
- Add food coloring to remaining batter, mix, and pour into a second squeeze bottle.
- Using black batter first, squeeze three small circles: two at the same level about 1 1/2" away from each other for the eyes and a third one in between, 1/8" lower. Cook 1 minute, then use uncolored batter to squeeze and create an oval 4" in diameter that covers the black circles and creates the face of the panda.
- Use black batter for a second time to create two ears at the two upper sides of the larger uncolored oval. If you need extra support for your hand during this process, you can use a damp cloth to rest your wrist on.
- Once all batter layers begin to rise slightly and uncolored batter starts to turn golden at the edges, carefully flip over using a small turner spatula. Cook 45 seconds, then remove from heat and place on a large plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Arrange pancakes on one large plate and drizzle with maple syrup.