This cake is seriously light, fluffy and loaded up with orange! The whole orange goes right into the processor with the other ingredients; and the result is tiny chunks of orange throughout this moist finely textured pound cake batter.
Orange Poppy Lazy Loaf [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup Plant Milk
- 1 Small Navel Orange or 2 small clementines
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Egg Replacer
- 14 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 9 tablespoons Vegan Butter or Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- Poppy Seeds for garnish optional
- Candied Orange for Garnish Optional
- First pull of the hard stem of the orange is there are any and check the oranges for seeds by slicing them in half and remove seeds if there are any. The skins stay on the orange, so leave that intact.
- Place all of the ingredients except for the poppy seeds into a food processor and processor until smooth batter (about 1 minute)
- The orange goes in whole, skin and all! The skin is where the oil essence is and that gives the cake a beautiful orange flavor and fragrance unmatched by just the juice or any extract. Just be sure to cut them open first to see if there are any seeds, in which case remove the seeds first.
- Fold in poppy seeds and pour batter into a greased loaf pan
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan until you are able to touch it with your hands without burning them, then flip the loaf out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Combine the confectioners sugar with the orange juice and zest and whisk smooth, pour over the loaf cake.