This brightly colored arugula, orange and fennel salad is absolutely delicious. It is so vibrant and tasty full of dynamic flavors that complement each other so well.
Orange and Fennel Arugula Salad [Vegan]
- 1 package arugula
- 1 bulb fennel sliced thinly
- 1 large fresh orange peeled and cut into segments or one 10.7 oz can mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 orange peeled and cut in half
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted pistachios (if you have trouble finding raw, roasted will work)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-salt soy sauce or low-salt tamari
- small piece fresh ginger, peeled
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- water to thin as needed
In a high-powered blender, add the whole orange, pistachios, vinegar, soy, and ginger. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed to incorporate all. Add extra water by the tablespoon to thin. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Cut off the stems and feathery fronds of the fennel bulb and remove any bruised or discolored outer layers. Cut the bulb in half lengthwise and cut out any tough core parts. Cut the bulb halves crosswise into very thin slices. (see video)
In a large bowl or plate, place the arugula, sliced fennel, oranges, and pistachios. Sprinkle the dressing by spoonfuls and garnish with cilantro.
You can also arrange the salad individually on each plate.