Some brilliant person created what they call an onigirazu, which is a LARGE nori sheet wrapped sandwich that can fit lots of fun fillings and the perfect refuel meal after your workout. This version of Onigirazu, uses use turmeric quinoa instead of the traditional white sushi rice as well as a delicious miso ginger sauce. Worked like a charm… a healthy little charm. Then choose whatever veggies, sprouts, lentil, or whole grains you like to fill it! This quinoa onigirazu sandwiches are fast and easy to make! Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes! Depending on what fillings you use, quinoa onigirazu can be a very healthy and satisfying dish. You could even use some tempeh to boost the protein content – great for any plant-based athletes out there! Now let’s give this baby a try, shall we?
Onigirazu Quinoa Sushi Sandwich [Vegan]
- 2 organic nori sheet
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 English cucumber sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 roasted/cook or pickled beet
- 1 leaf of Swiss chard or Romain lettuce gives the sandwich a nice crunch
- Handful of fresh cilantro
Miso Ginger Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoon miso
- 2 ″ fresh ginger root peeled
- juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup water less or more
- Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under running water for at least 30 seconds. Drain well.
- Combine the rinsed quinoa and water with turmeric, pepper and salt in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat a bit to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 10 to 12 minutes. Reduce heat as time goes on to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Remove the pot from heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking prep your veggies. Wash, peel, slice, shred, etc.
Miso Ginger Sauce
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy, adding water as needed.
- Lay out individual nori sheet on a length of cling wrap, on a working surface, shiny side down.
- Drop 1/4 of the quinoa in the center, and flatten.
- Now pile veggies of your choice (chard, avocado, carrot, beet, cucumber, cilantro) over the quinoa (right to the edges of the quinoa).
- Top with second 1/4 of quinoa.
- Fold the nori as a package, bringing up each corner to meet in the middle, with some overlap.
- Fold the cling wrap up over, seal relatively tightly, then flip over and let sit five minutes.
- Prep up the second nori wrap in the same way.
- Slice packets in half using a sharp, wetted knife, and enjoy either warm or (same day) cold. Dip in the miso ginger sauce as desired.