This quick and easy one-pot meal will be your new household favorite. While the combination of chickpeas and sautéed Portobello mushrooms with Italian herbs is deserving of an award, it's the mushrooms that make the dish. They're juicy, tender, and full of wonderful umami flavor. This dish can serve three or two very hungry people, but it can be bulked up with grains.
One-Pot Chickpeas Florentine With Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large red bell pepper or 4-5 mini peppers, chopped
- 3 cups sliced small Portobello mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 15-ounce can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and onion in a large nonstick saucepan or cooking pot. Raise the heat to medium-low and sauté the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and bell pepper. Raise the heat to medium and sauté for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat slightly if the garlic starts to brown. Add the Portobellos and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas. Fold in the spinach leaves and lemon juice and heat through for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.