A simple recipe perfect for any skill level. Not only does it look great, but it tastes great, too!
One Bowl Hazelnut Cake [Vegan, Gluten Free]
Ingredients You Need for One Bowl Hazelnut Cake [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Cake:
- 4 chia eggs (4 tablespoons ground chia seeds plus 10 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut extract optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats, ground into a flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 2 cups hazelnuts roasted
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups of hazelnut butter
- 1 cup icing sugar adjust to sweetness preference
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup hazelnut milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
How to Prepare One Bowl Hazelnut Cake [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Cake:
- To roast the hazelnuts just add them to a baking pan and bake in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes, check often to make sure they don't burn.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil your 8" round cake pans (batter makes 2 cakes). In a small bowl prepare your chia egg and let it sit.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl add in the milk and vinegar and mix to let it curdle. Then add in the baking soda and stir to create some bubbles.
- Now add in all the remaining ingredients except the flours and mix to combine.
- Add in the hazelnut, oat and GF flour and whisk together. The batter should be semi-thick and pourable, so add more flour or milk to adjust.
- Pour half the batter into each cake pan (or you can make 24 muffins if you prefer). Bake cake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Then let it cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Combine and whisk together the Hazelnut butter, vegan butter and icing sugar.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Heat the hazelnut milk for 1 minutes in the microwave. Add in the chocolate chips and let it sit 1 minute. Then, stir to combine.
To Assemble Your Cake:
- To assemble the cake, pour half of the hazelnut frosting over the bottom cake and spread.
- Then add in the roasted hazelnuts.
- Place the top cake on top and cover with the hazelnut frosting. Drizzle the chocolate frosting over the edges.
- Let the cake sit for an hour or so to set the chocolate.
- Transfer the bottom layer of the cooled cake to a serving plate/dish. Spread a semi-generous layer of frosting on the top of the bottom layer and top generously with hazelnuts. Press down with hands to settle them into the frosting (see photo).
- Carefully top with second layer and frost the top generously, then the sides. Using a butter knife yields a smooth surface. It should be the perfect amount of frosting - not too thick, not too thin.
- Add hazelnuts around the perimeter of the top of the cake. Slice and serve. Will keep well-covered at room temperature for several days, though best when fresh. Refrigeration not necessary.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.