This oil free gravy is healthy and easy. All it consists of is vegetables, spices and red wine! And it can be served with a variety of different dishes complementing each of them perfectly. Give it a shot!
Oil-Free Gravy [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup veggie stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, sage
- Small pinch of dried rosemary
- 5 brown mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 cloves of garlic, slices in two
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 onions, cut quarters
- 3 scallions, cut in two pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- Handful of fresh celery leaves, chopped roughly (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white flour
- 1/2 cup vegan red wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon marmite
- 1 teaspoon or more maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- In a measuring cup mix together, veggie stock and dried thyme and pinch of rosemary.
- In a sauce pan, add a little drops of veggie stock, add the mushrooms and garlics and cook until browned then add the rest of veggies, season with salt and pepper.
- Now add flour right inside the pan and stir to coat veggies with flour and cook. Add red wine to glaze. Then add soy, marmite and maple syrup and stir well to combine.
- Next add bay leaves and cook for couple of more minutes.
- Now add the remaining of veggie stock and let it simmer to reduce. Once done pass it through a sieve lined with a cheese cloth. Push through all the veggies and squeeze firmly to get the juice out and transfer to gravy dish and serve with nut roast, vegan cutlet, veggie wellington or vegan meatloaf.