This delicious plant-based quiche is gluten-free, oil-free, and full of seasonal flavor. Tofu takes the place of eggs and is blended with plenty of spices for flavor, plus fresh produce like beets, carrots, and spinach for a serving of veggies.
Oil-Free Tofu Beet Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon oat bran
- 2 tablespoons raw buckwheat flour
For the Filling:
- 9.5 ounces of firm tofu
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 level tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1 small raw beet, finely grated
- 1 big carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- First, using spoon and your hands, mix together the crust ingredients.
- Next, press the crust batter into 6-inch springform cake tin and bake at 355°F for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- While the crust is baking, steam the spinach or other leafy greens (chard, kale, turnip greens, collard greens).
- Also, sauté carrot and rosemary: add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce into a saucepan. When it starts to sizzle, add coarsely grated carrot and chopped fresh rosemary.
- Sauté for 3 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Process all filling ingredients (except beet, carrot, rosemary, soy sauce, and spinach) into a batter. Then, mix in finely grated raw beet.
- Top the crust with a layer of sautéed carrot and rosemary (drain any excess water). Next, add steamed and drained spinach.
- Spread the tofu-beet mixture on top of spinach.
- Finally, sprinkle some coarsely grated raw carrot and beet on top on the quiche.
- Bake at 355°F for 55 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
To save time and make the quiche a bit leaner, prepare it without crust, in which case place the carrot-spinach layer in the middle.